Monday, June 25, 2012

Self-Cherishment

Module 25: Self-Nurture for A Year With Myself www.AYearWithMyself.com



I have to say straightaway that I much prefer the more rooted in lovingkindness view of “self-care” taken by both of this module’s instigators. Sometimes I forget that I DO what I DO BEcause I have learned that It Works Well For Me. I continue to listen and learn other ways, sometimes even “better” ways than my own, yet I always keep in heart and mind that I didn’t just slap on a coat of “self-care paint” overtop the rest of me, like a primer that covers old stains.

Lianne Raymond’s prompt, to consider 3 elements she BElieves “help bring us to a place of self-cherishment” was most thought-provoking for me. I loved how they all started with the letter “I” and her frequent nods to Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Eat, Pray, Love who visited 3 countries in the year her book spans, all of which start with “I.” I don’t know just what it was about this that tickled me so, just that it did.

1.    Indulgence ~ to give what is desired but NOT necessary.

How lovely this definition. One I have actually come to know well in these past 6 years of flying solo. I used to think someone else in charge of this [embarrassing as it is to admit this] FOR ME whilst also thinking I was responsible for indulging another.

While the dictionary talks of it as wishes, luxuries, tolerance, and even remission [leaving out entirely a period for repayment, HELLO?!] I much prefer Lianne’s definition. Yet more than the word or the meanings, I like the idea that this is part of and actually essential to cherishing myself.

As I’ve been growing into my artist-self these past few years, I’ve noticed that while I DO indeed love people buying my art, the real treat of making it, for ME, is gifting it. I have a young friend, he’s turned 4 a couple months back Now, and I’ve NOT seen him since last July. Each of his birthdays I have given him a piece of art made especially for him. I realise that toys are probably more what he’d “enJOY Now” and once I DID give him some Matchbox cars. It’s just that I so love making something for him that I simply canNOT succumb to the status quo.

I’ve got a new painting for him, one I hope to BE able to “indulge” myself to give when we get together next. It seems to me that gifting my art is one of the nicest ways I cherish and yes, even “care for” my heart, my Spirit, and ME.

2.    Idleness ~ time and space to DO nothing.

Another lovely notion, this one. Actually it’s one I have practised well and definitely look for other delicious ways to encourage myself to enJOY just BEing.

I have to say that Gracie, my Golden Retriever, has been a great teacher for me, modeling exquisite idleness in a way that makes it look BEyond delightful. Just this morning, pre-walk, she had a wild romp round the neighbourhood, running so fast it seemed she was flying, this big grin NOT only on her sweet face but vibrating like waves off her whole BEing. I loved seeing that, and the guy in the jeep who stopped, clearly BEing watchful of my nutty girl, who took the time to ask if he could pet her!!!

So yes, I concur and practise in a similar fashion, finding and making moments and often hours, sometimes whole days, and on occasion longer stretches “indulging idleness” in my Life. It looks so good on Gracie, how she is so content BEing and then, in a blink, she can BE “idle” BEing a nut, running wild and free. I would imagine it also “looks good” on me, as I notice myself Now sleeping deeper and better, waking rested, refreshed, and eager to embrace the new day than EVER since, well, perhaps EVER. I really can’t remember ME EVER having such a balance as I Now have [and almost take for granted, except, REALLY, I don’t].

3.    Imagination ~ bringing BEauty into Life (from Old French imaginer – meaning to sculpt, paint, decorate, embellish).

I spent the better part of yesterday working with one line from a “poeming project” that was born during A Year With Myself, when I was writing my own Manifesto. I’ve wanted to make this “book” of my poeming and art, and recently was made aware of ICAD2 which is creating on and Index Card A Day, the brainchild of Tammy at Daisy Yellow Art http://daisyyellowart.com/icad/ which after DOing for a couple of days I had that blinding flash of the obvious disrupt my oblivion and make me wake up to “put things together” in a V-8 sort of smiling headslap way…

The line: REACH WITH IMAGINATION was a little bit like having Peter Pan pop into the Wee Cottage. I’ve “reached” with insistence and I’ve reached with “irritation” but what I find works so much “better” as in in a lovely way indeed, is Reaching With My Imagination. It, my Imagination, has wings to fly, gills to swim, and whatever else I might “require” to bring BEauty into Life.

I spent time “illustrating” it and I kept finding new, OTHER, NOT “better”, ways. I had fun and I realised that I am one fortunate cookie, getting to spend a day in such an indulgent pursuit. Perhaps even an Indulgent Idle Imaginative pursuit!!!

Life has grown interesting for me these past few years. I’d thought I was “getting over lost love” and “learning to Let Go” and carry on, but what I see Now that I couldn’t have seen without thinking I was DOing all “that” is that Life has opened new doors and I have been seeing how to step through them, even if I was perfectly content to stay in the hallway a few years too long…

Self-Cherishment?! Yes!!! Bring It ON!!!

No comments: