Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Simplicity Is an Advanced Course




Module 24: Simplicity  from A Year With Myself www.AYearWithMyself.com

Weekly Prompt from Michelle Russell

It’s curious to me, how these past several modules and weeks have seemed, initially [and sometimes longer] to NOT really BE “new news” to me. So I really enJOYed playing with the notion Michelle www.Michelle-Russell.com brought via Sri Chinmoy’s quote, “Simplicity is an advanced course.”

While I don’t in any way mean to say or even imply that I’ve “been there, done that, and NOT bought the t-shirt” [BEcause, REALLY, how many t-shirts does a girl need?! J] I DO mean to say I feel like this is timely RE-inspiration. Module 24 was like having a checklist and checking things off, noting with some amazing Gratitude and relief that I have indeed taken the road less travelled or the right-for-me fork in that road.

The ideas of Needing, Wanting, and Enough have danced BEside me like Tinkerbell or Jiminy Cricket. In particular, during the past 9 months, when:

1. I actually DID have my income cut by 2/3rds and there it has stayed so that Now I am crystal clear about what is Need, Want, and Enough for ME;

2. I have had some amazing insights [several, admittedly, via A Year With Myself] and gigantic and colossal breakthroughs [like letting go of my Life’s worth of “stuff” in the storage in Sedona, and selling my car, using my legs and feet and public transportation to get wherever I truly NEED to BE]; and

3. I have utterly and completely Let Go of any notions that More is “better” than whatever IS or Is NOT.

I won’t pretend I ever really grasped the truth of Simplicity. I DO have a t-shirt that says simply “Simplify” and I love it and have worn it so often I think one day it might just evaporate! I even chose the word, Simplify, as my word-for-the-year in 2010. I think it was working on me at a much deeper level Then, but Now and in these past 9 months, I have held it really close to my heart.

This year my word is Discipline. In 2011 it was Visible. I don’t see any of this as oddly coincidental. In fact, I see it as empowering and VERY encouraging.

Now, to complete the sentences [which I’ll likely expand into paragraphs and ultimately far more, so this usually goes for me in AYWM].

To me, “enough money” means… 

I am current and complete with my financial responsibilities. Since I live on a fixed income, Social Security Disability, I know exactly how much money I have coming in and Now that I no longer have the 2/3rds that went away in September, I am VERY clear on what goes out and WHEN it goes out. The letting my car go and all that lifetime of “stuff” in storage are all about what is “enough” and what is the illusion of “enough” or “necessary.” It’s no real surprise that I am living within my means Now that I don’t have that extra which really was “excess/excessive.”

I don’t have enough _____ in my Life.

Well, I KNOW this isn’t meant to BE a trick question, but honestly, I don’t have an I don’t have enough ____ in my Life. I have everything I need or at least I am content with what I have. MayBE the only thing I could put there is Forgiveness.

I have too much ____ in my Life.

Well NOW I have an answer… I have too much debt leftover from when I had the extra support and a lifestyle that let me once again disrespect the whole notion of credit cards. I have too much shame about that, and too much regret that I didn’t catch on sooner, BEfore I got into the situation I am in.

I have just enough ____ in my Life.

This time I can make a list:
Time
Health
Energy
Joy
Wonder
Companionship [yes, really, I know my mum worries, but I am so happy in my quiet and simple little Life here in the Wee Cottage with Gracie]
Laughter
Inspiration
Challenge
Opportunity
Delight

Even though I complain or have complained [that is a word I dislike Very Much], my Life is extraordinary. I’m learning how to simplify it, enJOY its nooks and crannies, let it lift me up, and give me the capacity to imagine what is possible.

2 comments:

Karen B said...

Currie, this is beautiful! Thank you, you have inspired me to try the exercise!

Unknown said...

Hi, Currie--I'm so glad that my prompts inspired you to share this beautiful post! My favorite part is how you've reached the realization that you don't HAVE any "I don't have enough of's" in your life--that you've got everything you need. THAT, right there, is enoughness...and few people are blessed enough to be able to say that with conviction. I'm even slightly jealous--heh! ;o)