Monday, February 13, 2012

Our Relationship's Values



Our Relationship’s Values

A Variation On Sandi’s Weekly Prompt Module 6
Using the List of 418 Values

                                                       
GRACIE’S VALUES
RELATIONSHIP’S VALUES
CURRIE’S VALUES
adventure
adaptability
acceptance
affection
adventure
adventure
closeness
approachability
balance
curiosity
belonging
calmness
delight
camaraderie
comfort
eagerness
care/carefulness
connection
exuberance
comfort
cooperation
fidelity
closeness
curiosity
friendliness
cooperation
delight
individuality
courtesy
ease
involvement
enJOYment
encouragement
joy
exploration
exploration
love
expressiveness
flexibility
making a difference
flexibility
generosity
optimism
focus
harmony
playfulness
generosity
integrity
pleasure
integrity
making a difference
silliness
joy
meaning
simplicity
love
preparedness
spunk
making a difference
respect
teamwork
[BEing] outdoors
responsibility
uniqueness
partnership
sensitivity
warmth
peace
solitude
wonder
respect
strength
zeal
trust
understanding

DOing this is, admittedly, a bit outside the prompt’s intent, but it’s been really interesting for me. Since, of course, Gracie cannot read or write, I have taken the liberty of DOing these lists from my own perspective. It was pretty intuitive, actually, and I am glad for the list I found last week online. I kept adding 5 more rows BEcause I’d get through the list BEfore I ran out of values!!!

In terms of Gracie’s Values, I picked out those I think fit her, as I know her, observe her, and live with her. While I doubt she’d choose to call herself optimistic or say that she values simplicity or spunk, the words in her list truly reflect what is clearly Gracie about her. Of course she knows she values BEing affectionate, close, curious, eager, exuberant, and friendly. I am the one choosing to say she values her individuality, having involvement(s), making a difference, BEing zealous. Despite all my referencing evidence to the contrary, Gracie DOES value teamwork and fidelity. Granted she might find those words too fluffy and “persony” for her liking, but I know that she IS all that and more. It’s all these values that make her unique, extraordinary, and her wondrously sweet self.

When I went through and chose the 25 values of mine for this exercise, I noticed I chose somewhat differently than were I choosing just what I value. With the exercise’s intent such as it is, I thought about the things I value in relation to Life With Gracie [which is pretty much LIFE as I live and know it]. Acceptance has often been a struggle for me, wanting Gracie to BE this way or that way and taking it personally when she was NOT. I think this is why we “work so well” Now. I’ve accepted HER as much as MYSELF and this keeps us and our partnership cleaner, clearer, and more resilient. Things like adventure, balance, calmness, comfort, connection, and cooperation are things I dearly and deeply value, No Matter What or Who I’m thinking of.

Curiosity, delight, ease, and encouragement I also try to make sure are part of ME and especially so with Gracie. I know she is a dog and NOT a 4-legged furry person, but I deeply value that these four are so much a part of who I am and WE are together. In particular I try to encourage her exploring and this has, in turn, made me more encouraging of my own love of exploring. It takes flexibility and generosity for me to BE able to manage this, but the resulting harmony, respect, and understanding are worth every generous flexing I put forward.

I love how Gracie encourages my solitude, respects it [and me], and is sensitive to me, even though I didn’t attribute those values to her specifically. I love that I choose integrity, making a difference, meaning, preparedness, and responsibility when I make my list of values. These are key values for the sort of relationship I have as Gracie’s person and as a person who shares her Life completely with her dearest companion of the canine bean variety.

I think it might’ve been interesting enough to just DO this exercise focused on the values in our relationship, but I am glad I didn’t just keep it that simple. I learned a lot from DOing Gracie’s and mine with Gracie and our relationship in mind. I also notice that there are many shared as well unshared values in the relationship and our individual values.

The “un-shared” values, those that are just in the Relationship’s List:
1.      Adaptability.
2.     Approachability.
3.      BElonging.
4.     Camaraderie, care, and carefulness.
5.      Courtesy.
6.      EnJOYment.
7.      Expressiveness. [and its curious mix of her extroversion and my introversion]
8.     Focus.
9.      [BEing] Outdoors.
10.  Partnership
11.    Peace.
12.   Trust.

And then the shared in Gracie’s and the Relationship’s:
1.      Adventure.
2.     Closeness.
3.      Joy.
4.     Love.
5.      Making a difference.

And Mine and the Relationship’s:
1.      Adventure.
2.     Exploration.
3.      Flexibility.
4.     Generosity.
5.      Integrity.
6.      Making a difference.
7.      Respect.

And finally, those values that Gracie and I both share, at least for the purposes and to the extent that these lists reflect our values:
1.      Adventure.
2.     Curiosity.
3.      DeLIGHT.
4.     Making a difference.

Very interesting… Grateful for these insights!!!




2 comments:

Sandi Amorim said...

Love your spin on the values exercise Currie!

Currie Silver said...

Thanks so much, Sandi! It was fun, and coming back to it this past week, while dealing with Strengths was so helpful!!