Sunday, August 26, 2012

BUT...




A YEAR WITH MYSELF MODULE 34: MONEY MATTERS

This quote on page 3 from Brené Brown “had me” by the 7th word…

Owning our story can be hard but not nearly as difficult as spending our lives running from it. Embracing our vulnerabilities is risky but not nearly as dangerous as giving up on love and belonging and joy – the experiences that make us the most vulnerable. Only when we are brave enough to explore the darkness will we discover the infinite power of our light.

A word I intend to use almost NEVER:

BUT

A tiny word which takes what came BEfore it and strikes it out definitively.

Yet in the context of this Module of A Year With Myself, devoted to Money and the notions round Our Money Stories, Contexts, and richly layered MEANINGs, the word gains points and power from me.

I think that coming to understand our Money Story/Stories is essential work. In particular where it is nearly invisible background, like the noise electricity makes we don’t notice until there is a power outage. Still. Hollow.

It is safe enough for me to say that I’d never have got involved in A Year With Myself were I NOT ready, willing, and able to dive in and take Stuff on. Still, the topic of Money is so large, oozing its way into every nook and cranny of Life, it seems there is likely little headway to BE gained exploring it “with myself” alone.

BUT…

Here’s the thing: My money story is written, filed, and stored. My Money MATTERS, on the other hand, are what I write with each breath and every blink of My Right Now.

This year I have taken long and deep pauses to look and see what I think I see there, where I am looking. I’ve grown brave and embraced the risks involved with such introspection. I have stumbled, frequently…

BUT…

This Matter of Money matters to me Now in a far different way. Far FAR different.

Today I see money as a companion. I see how I misunderstood its purpose for BEing in my Life, how wildly wrong I was about it for nearly all of my Life. Yet it is still and always a companion for the Journey.

I agree that it is energy, that wealth is a state of mind, an attitude, and I am all about knowing this companion, but that is all that it is, a companion. It is NOT Me, it does NOT stand for Me, define Me, and it certainly does NOT speak for me.

I’m neither more nor less BEcause of my companion.

BUT…

It certainly is BEcause of ME.



No comments: