Sunday, August 12, 2012

Navigating the Winds of Change


Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don’t resist them; that only creates sorrow. ~ Lao Tzu

Often I am struck by the utter simplicity of sensibility. It is like a waterfall that I didn't recognise as water, falling. This week’s Module in A Year With Myself is Winds of Change. In its pages and stories and reflections I saw very clearly that Change is a constant, for all humans, for Life, and yet we all seem to alternately resist and attempt to control it.

These last 6-7 years of my Life are all the proof I need to see that what Lao Tzu said is wisdom well-heeded. Everything that is How I Live/Who I Am has changed so completely that I have trouble remembering what/who/how I used to BE. I’m NOT embarrassed to say how much I resisted everything that changed. [BEcause it was only totally] Nor am I going to pretend this resistance wasn’t filled full and overflowing with sorrow.

I have a confession to make. I REALLY miss my son when he was about 0 to age 5. [he is going to BE 34 in October] I may have mentioned this BEfore. I keep several photos round about the Wee Cottage from Way Back Then, all of which give me the warm and fuzzy feeling that the baby, toddler, and wee boy is still Right Here, Right Now. Of course, I am NOT delusional [or only a little!!] I am only a mother. For years, decades Now, and the turn of a century, I have wished away Now dreaming I might, magically, BE able to spend a day with him at various ages and stages that came and went like the wind.

Of course this isn’t possible. And Today I know it. He’s grown up. He is an extraordinary man. He simply blows my mind. Life has naturally and spontaneously CHANGED him. It is DOing so, Right Now, as I am writing this, and whenever anyone else may BE reading it.

I think that learning to live Right Now is so much harder than it sounds. It requires exacting fine-motor skill at Letting Go. It demands that I enJOY Life and simultaneously let it GO while opening to What’s Up in the next Now. It means I must resist my natural resistance. It’s… complicated.

And yet it’s also like getting used to the pitch of the sea. At first it is a bit nauseating, then it gets a bit better, and eventually dry land seems, oddly, a bit tame.

Change is constant and even Change is always changing. It’s like dancing with the wind. And simply letting it lead.



No comments: