Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Friends and Truth Telling





Treat your friends as you would a bank account - refrain from drawing too heavily on either.
~ Samuel Johnson


Funny thing, I was just thinking some thinks like this yesterday and Monday. I wanted so to DO the Venture Map #1 - Truth Telling Interview in Module 18, I STILL want to, but I realised that there's really no one in my Life at present with whom I could DO this just in the moment, straightaway.


What are my strengths?
What are my weaknesses?
What can you count on me for?
What can't you count on me for?
If you were speaking on behalf of the people who know me, how would you describe me?


The thing is, I am NOT afraid of the truth. I am, I think, afraid of my friends and family rolling their eyes, feeling put upon by my curiosity, or simply blowing me off. Again. I have attempted similar requests with oftentimes NO response.


I so rarely see, in person, people I consider close enough to ASK these questions, and I have, for some time Now, BEcome the one person I am closest with. The one who knows me best.


The one who WANTS to know me.


MayBE the ONLY ONE who WANTS that...


This is NOT a whine, a trembling admission, or even said with sadness. It is what it is. This is How and Where Life and I meet at this time. Simple.


So, when this little quote came into my emailbox this morning, I took a moment and wrote this post. BEcause, for me, I'm thinking this interview will have to BE reconfigured and done differently.


Or mayBE just saved for another chapter...

1 comment:

Sue Mitchell said...

I totally get what you're saying about your friends or family rolling your eyes at these questions. Many, or perhaps most, people find all this self-reflection sort of silly.

But what if one of them *didn't* respond that way? It seems like that might bring you closer than you say you are now. It might be interesting to muster the audacity to go ahead and ask a few people, just to see who is most open to it. That could be a great learning experience about who in your immediate circle has the most potential for being a closer supporter.